1.14.2012

Baked Marbles


I decided to do this project even though I had no clue what I'd actually do with the marbles. I still don't have any ideas, but I'll think of something.

After looking at this pin I found some marbles I've had sitting around for years and decided to try it out.
You're going to want clear/translucent marbles. Most of mine had the colored swirls on the inside, and those are fine, but if it's a solid colored marble you won't be able to see the cracks.

Preheat your oven to 500°F. Place the marbles on a pan and bake for 20 minutes. 
Before they're done prepare a metal bowl of ice water.
As soon as you take them out dump them in the ice water. You'll hear them crack and you can take them out and see the shattered insides.


The outsides stay smooth for the most part, but I did have a couple of marbles that seemed to crack all the way to the outside. 

One problem I had was that they let out a smell when in the oven. On the forum I found the directions on the poster said there is absolutely no smell, so maybe it just had something to do with my marbles being really old. It wasn't too strong, but I opened my back door while they were baking just in case. 

I can't decide if I liked this project or not. It was really easy, but I don't think the shattered look of the marbles is very noticeable unless you look closely. I think it's an interesting look and I'm glad I tried it, but I doubt I'd do it again.

A closer look at a clear marble

Anyone going to try this out? Any suggestions on what I should use the marbles for? 



Here's the original pin:
Source: Craftster via Victoria on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. I think they look cool. Maybe you could make some jewelry with them or add them to something else for some bling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of jewelry. One of my marbles is a bit bigger than the rest, and I think it would make a pretty necklace. Now if only I was any good at making jewelry, lol.

      Delete
  2. These look really cool, I make handmade jewelry, and Im going to try making some statement fashion necklaces with the flat marbles you use in fish tanks, might end up being cool, we will see!! Excited to try this, thanks for your post!! www.shoresideco.com

    ReplyDelete